Looking for a Laptop for Professional Needs
It was once a fact of life that laptops exchanged power, hard drive space, and multitasking ability for portability, and in a professional environment, you need all of those things. However, as times change and demands evolve, models like Apples MacBook Pro line have been hard hitters in professional circles. The 15-inch mid-2012 release of the Retina MacBook Pro is the third generation. Its specifications and applications help it work just as hard as you do.
What Are Key Laptop Specs to Consider?
In any laptop or computer, there are a few key specs to know when choosing. These include:
- Processor: The central processing unit, or CPU, is the brain of the system, the central point where all other computing functions connect. CPUs may be single-core, dual-core, or quad-core and measure by speed in GHz. The more cores, the faster the equipment is likely to function.
- Memory: Random access memory or RAM, is the temporary space needed for programs to open/close. RAM measures in gigabytes (GB) or terabytes (TB).
- Hard Drives: The hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD) is the space to store your programs and files. These also measure in GB. HHDs and SSDs perform the same hard drive function, but the methods and components are different.
- Battery Life: Laptops batteries give you their portability and flexibility to use away from a power source. Batteries are usually either three cells or six cells. The battery life of three-cell battery is usually 2 to 3 hours. The battery life of six cells is around 8 hours.
- Connectivity: Most laptops include various types of external ports so you can connect side-by-side with other electronic devices. Models may also include various types of wireless technology such as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Always check compatibility with your other gear.
- Screens: Screens come in different sizes. Laptop screens are usually LED-backlit and may or may not include anti-glare features.
What Are the Features of This Model?
Key features of the mid-2012 MacBook Pro retina display include:
- Retina Display: This release introduced high-resolution retina display to the LED backlit 15-inch monitor. The screens use a higher density of pixels to improve the quality of the images and text on the screen in terms of the clearness and crispness. Displays are high-res glossy or anti-glare.
- Processors: The processors in the 15-inch model are Intel Core i7. Core i7 are quad-core processors that usually operate at speeds of 2.3 GHz o 2.6 GHz. These Intel Cores also have a Turbo Boost and an L3 cache. They also use Intel HD graphics.
- Solid State Drive: The mid-2012 MacBook Pros included SSDs as opposed to HDDs. Sizes start at 256 GB SSD.
- Operating System: Like all of this brands products, they use their own macOS operating system.
- Batteries: The 15-inch MacBook uses built-in 77.5 watt-hours lithium-polymer batteries.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Apple or Intel.