Interior Door Handles for GMC Cars and Trucks
When youre the driver of a GMC vehicle such as a sedan or pickup, you need a reliable set of door handles. A functioning interior door handle is a key to convenience, so you do not have to keep the engine on, roll down the window, pull the outside handle to open the door, roll up the window, and turn off the engine before you can exit. While not urgent, replacing the interior door handle on your GMC car or truck will make for a more enjoyable driving experience.How do you replace the interior handle on a GMC?
Because replacing the inner door handle on your GMC car or truck requires removal of the interior door panel, it is recommended that you have this repair done at a reputable dealer or repair shop. However, if you are handy, you can complete this repair with the proper parts, tools, and a little bit of time.
- Gather the proper tools: You will need a replacement GMC interior door handle assembly kit, a flat-blade screwdriver, a Phillips-head screwdriver, a 10mm socket and ratchet with extension, needle nose pliers, and a drill.
- Remove the door panel: Using the flat-head screwdriver, remove the screw covers and trim plates positioned around your GMC car door. Remove the 10mm bolts with the socket wrench. Then pry up the switch panel, disconnect the wire harnesses, and remove the tab holding the lock in place. Remove the panel by reaching behind it and giving it a sharp tug all the way around to release the clips, making sure to disconnect the door handle cable before lifting off the door.
- Remove the old door handle assembly: Using the drill bit included in the GMC handle assembly kit, drill out the rivets that hold the door handle assembly in place from the back side of the door panel. Then, remove the handle bezel after prying up the clip holding it in place. On the front side of the panel, remove the handle by lifting the rubber piece, removing the metal clip, taking off the plastic handle cover, and pushing the rod through the door.
- Install the replacement door handle assembly: Place the replacement handle bezel down on the back side of the panel. Instead of rivets, place several drops of the included super glue over and on the rivet holes. Then, screw the included bolts and washers into place. Snap the replacement door handle into place over the metal rod.
- Replace the door panel: Reconnect the door handle cable and slide the panel into place, making sure to snap it into the clips. Replace the lock and reconnect the switch panel. Tighten the bolts and re-position the screw covers and trim plates.
As with any other part, your GMC door handle will wear out over time due to frequent use. The key to keeping your handle from breaking is gently opening your car doors. However, if you notice that your interior handle is increasingly hard to open, other mechanisms of your car door may be to blame. Either way, keeping up with regular maintenance and paying careful attention to any changes will help prevent such problems in the future.