Lip plumpers are topical beauty products that make your lips look larger and more pouty. Often applied as a lip balm or gloss, these products increase blood flow to your mouth to make it look smooth and full. These can be used alone or in conjunction with other makeup products.How do lip plumpers work?
Lip plumpers work by creating a mild irritation on your mouth, where you have naturally thin skin. Many plumpers use ingredients that create a sensation of tingling, stinging, or heat. This causes your body to act as if it needs to protect itself. Blood will flow into the area as part of your body’s natural response, and it is this increase in circulation that gives your mouth that full, pouty look. If you don’t want to use a product that tingles, exfoliating scrubs and blood vessel dilators like caffeine will also increase circulation and will give your lips that plump and supple look.What ingredients are in a lip plumper?
Plumpers can be applied as a lip gloss, balm, lipstick, serum, or scrub. There are many ingredients in these bases that help create their plumping action, either by themselves or in combination with each other.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon and cinnamon essential oils are often used in lip plumping formulas. Its mild warming sensation and great smell make it a good choice for creating a kiss-worthy look.
- Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil creates a tingling feeling on the mouth. Lip balms with peppermint stimulate circulation, helping you fake a big pout without surgery. Like cinnamon, peppermint oil has the added benefit of smelling good too.
- Capsaicin: Capsaicin is the ingredient in chili peppers and spicy food that gives it heat. When applied topically, it creates a gentle heat, causing plumping to occur naturally.
- Caffeine: Caffeine extract is another popular plumping agent. It dilates blood vessels, causing an increase in circulation. This gives you a natural-looking pout without having to go under the knife or get collagen injections.
- Sugar: Sugar scrubs can also give the look of a fuller mouth. Their exfoliating properties cause blood to rush to the lips, giving you plump lips that are ready for further makeup application.
Some lip plumpers offer benefits in addition to their plumping action.
- Moisturizing: Many plumpers come in the form of a lip balm or gloss. These are often made with nourishing ingredients like coconut oil and vitamin e, adding moisture to dry lips. Since moisturized lips look naturally plump, any hydrating ingredient will help your full look last longer.
- Color: Lipsticks, pigmented gloss, and tinted lip balm add a wash of color to your mouth while still creating a plump look. They are a great option to complete your makeup look.